Monday, July 19, 2010

Starting Down the Hill



Today I started round five of chemo.  IV Taxol-day one.  IP Cisplatin-day two.  Hydration and injection-day three and four.  Hydration-day five.  Weekend free unless counts go down and go to ER for hydration. IP Taxol-day 8.  Hydration days-9 & 10.  Nausea, vomiting, neuropathy in feet, and is starting in fingers.  Muscle aches, back pain.  The day and the life of an Ovarian Cancer patient with recurrent OVCA--advanced stage.  This after a successful stage one surgery and 95% cure rate.  It wasn't supposed to come back.  It did. So.  Radical chemo after a controversial second debulking surgery.  I'm bald.  Again.  I'm weak and fatigued.  Again.  My tennis game sucks when I have energy to play.  Again.

But I'm still here, with one more round to go in August.  I do not have a cancer marker to adequately determine if the treatment is working or to indicate if the cancer returns.  I will have to rely on periodical CT scans and symptoms.  Not optimum.  But I'm still here.  I'm over the top of the hill, heading for the finish line with regards to the Chemo treatment.  One that most people can't tolerate the entire treatment.  I know it's my best shot and I'm not going to give up. I'm not going to dwell on those things out of my control.  I'm only going to concentrate on the fact that I'm still here AND I'm not dead yet!

8 comments:

A said...

I know we're an ocean apart, but we just want to express our support & our admiration for your admirable strenght and persistence
while facing this battle.

plush said...

rock on...god bless!

Carrie said...

Love the Spamalot clip! Lots of love and good thoughts to you!

uk property said...

I like very much the work you have done around. great stuff.

cash property buyers said...

It's the best u can get. I like how beautiful blogs rise from the dust!

Jamie Hogue said...

I just want to express my wholehearted support of your recovery; I hope your enthusiasm and zeal for life get you through this.

It occurred to me a moment ago that your last blog post was a few months ago... I hope you live to read this, I really do.

Poptart said...

I just happened upon your blog today while surfing around the blogosphere. My Mom has been in treatment for breast cancer for a year an a half now, also a very dear friend of mine is going through treatment for his second round of very serious leukemia. I just wanted to say I know what you and your family are going through and I admire your strength and passion for life so much. I know how hard it is to keep a positive mental outlook in your situation and it is SO important. Sending my love and support to you and your loved ones, I deeply hope that you are recovering smoothly and that as I write this you are smiling and playing tennis somewhere! Keep up the fight. :)

Anonymous said...

A very brave lady and a woman so positive after 5 rounds of chemo. My friend (37) is currently on her 3rd round of chemo, a very healthy, active lady with a very creul illness. She is championing cancer causes herself in the UK such as the Harbour Cancer Support Centre and Buttons of Hope. Stay strong, stay positive and keep going.x