Friday, August 08, 2008


A day to remember. Yes. it is the opening of the Beijing Olympics, but today was a milestone for me as my first Chemo treatment. I got to the hospital at 8:30am and was out at 3:30pm. 6 hours. The good thing is that with all the stuff they give you to keep you from having an allergic reaction or to prevent nausea, I fell asleep after about 20 minutes and didn't wake up again until it was over. Nice comfy chairs, a blanket to cover up with I snuggled in and let them pump me full of whatever they wanted to. My hubs and I played one game of cribbage, (I won)and then I sent him on his way. No reason for him to sit and watch me sleep. He was there when I woke back up and that was pretty sweet.

What I didn't like was all the other people who slowly filled the room as the morning progressed. I didn't like the idea of people looking at me and thinking "poor girl" and I didn't want to be looking at sickly cancer patients either. One was a chemo patient like me, but most of the others were getting blood transfusions...YUCKY. didn't like to be seeing all those bags of blood, it really grossed me out. Probably because I just read the script for a new musical--Dracula, so I had visions of blood in my head already.

But, it is now a little after 9Pm I have drank a large containter of Gatorade and ate some broth with noodles, ate a coconut ice cream bar, and am feeling a little tired but for the most part damn fine! I see how the night and the next couple of days goes. They are to be the toughest.


joyful said...

Sissy, I was thinking about you all day..Knowing that this was your first treatment. Alex and I were driving to Elko and I kept catching glimpses of my bracelet and thinking of you. This will pass. Stay strong in spirit, mind and body. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love and hugs. R.

Susan said...

I'm glad you managed to sleep through that...hopefully the rest of the process will be just as smooth for you.

As for everyone staring at you with pity, they were probably worried about the same thing themselves!

V-Grrrl said...

Six hours. Wow. Hard to imagine. I'm glad you slept and hope that this period of treatment slips by quickly.

Peter said...

Most athletes flew to the Beijing Olympics determined to win a medal, you drove to your chemo treatment knowing it would be no fun ride, but determined to see it as an experience that would make you stronger in the end.

Do keep us posted.

Best wishes from Belgium.